Ask HMRC to verify you had a new child which affected your eligibility for the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme

If you’re self-employed or a member of a partnership, and having a new child affected the trading profits or total income you reported for the tax year 2018 to 2019, use this form to ask HMRC to verify that you had a new child.

Written on by

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

If you’re already eligible for the grant based on your 2016 to 2017, 2017 to 2018 and 2018 to 2019 Self Assessment tax returns, how we work out your grant amount will not be affected.

If you’re not already eligible you can ask HMRC to check if you had a new child which either:

  • affected your trading profits or total income you reported for the tax year 2018 to 2019
  • meant you did not submit a Self Assessment tax return for the tax year 2018 to 2019

For this scheme having a new child is any of the following:

  • being pregnant
  • giving birth (including a stillbirth after more than 24 weeks of pregnancy) and the 26 weeks after giving birth
  • caring for a child within 12 months of birth if you have parental responsibility
  • caring for a child within 12 months of adoption placement

Find other help and support that is available to you.

You must have been self-employed in the tax year 2017 to 2018 and have submitted your Self Assessment tax return on or before 23 April 2020.

You must also meet all other eligibility criteria.

When to ask HMRC to check

You must ask HMRC to verify you had a new child on or before 5 October 2020.

What you’ll need

You’ll need your:

You’ll also need to provide information which could include:

  • your Child Benefit number
  • your child’s birth or adoption certificate number
  • if you’re claiming Maternity Allowance
  • your child’s full name and date of birth
  • the date of adoption
  • why you had maternity or parental responsibility, for example:
    • a parental responsibility agreement
    • a parental order from the court
    • your maternity certificate (MAT B1)

Ask HMRC to verify your information

You’ll need your Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you make your claim.

Xeinadin locations

Daily updates, advice and support

There’s no doubt that the Coronavirus affects us all, both personally and in business. What can you do to deal with the situation and its consequences? 

Sign up for our special update to receive daily advice and support on how to guide your business through this challenging time.