From 1 January 2021 you need an EORI number to move goods between the UK and the EU.
Written on January 21, 2021 by Xeinadin Group
You can apply for your EORI number in advance. It can take up to a week to get one.
You will not usually need an EORI number if you only:
- provide services
- move goods between Northern Ireland and Ireland
- If you use a post or parcel company they will tell you if you need an EORI number.
You will need an EU EORI number if your business will be making customs declarations or getting a customs decision in the EU. Get this from the customs authority in the EU country where you submit your first declaration or request your first decision.
If you already have an EORI number
From 1 January 2021 you’ll need an EORI number that starts with GB to move goods to or from the UK.
Check your EORI number. Apply for a new one if yours does not start with GB.
Before you apply
To apply you may need your:
- VAT number and effective date of registration - these are on your VAT registration certificate
- National Insurance number - if you’re an individual or a sole trader
- Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
- Business start date and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code - these are in the Companies House register
- Government Gateway user ID and password
If you need a Government Gateway user ID, use either:
- the one for your business or organisation
- your own if you’re applying as an individual
If you do not already have a user ID, you’ll be able to create one when you apply for an EORI number.